Health insurance

For getting the medically necessary treatment in Hungary, you will need the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The health care provider decides whether the needed treatment is medically necessary during your stay in Hungary. Please do inform yourself in your homecountry about possible extended medical insurances valid in Hungary for hospital treatment and dentist.

How to use the European Health Insurance Card in Hungary

You need both the European Health Insurance Card and your passport or ID card.


If you need medically necessary treatment, it is advised to see a general practitioner (GP – “háziorvos”) first. The GP decides whether further specialised treatment is necessary and will issue a referral. Hospital treatment is normally provided through a referral from a GP. In urgent cases no referral is necessary.


Where a doctor or dentist issues a prescription, it should be taken to the pharmacy, where the EHIC shall be submitted as well. Subsidies on medicines can vary according to disease and type of product.

For citizens from non-EU states and third countries

Citizens and/or residents of countries, which are not part of the EU and which don’t have bilateral agreements with Hungary on the provision of health care, have to pay full price for the health care services rendered in Hungary. Please do inform yourself before your departure to Hungary what kind of extended insurance possibilities your homecountry’s insurance companies provide for your whole stay in Hungary.

General practitioner (GP) in Sopron

If you stay in one of the university’s dormitories, your GP is:
Mr. Dr. Tibor Rehák
Address: Sopron, Táncsics str. 11.
Phone: (36 99) 312 318

Your dentist:

Ms. Dr. Dóra Kuslits
Address: Sopron, Füredi sétány 7. 1st floor door nr. 7.
Phone: (+ 36 99) 510 628


Soproni Erzsébet Oktató Kórház és Rehabilitációs Intézet
Address: Sopron, Győri út 15.
Phone: (+ 36 99) 514 200
Please visit the following page: