Application for the residence permit on arrival

You will be required to report to the Immigration Office within thirty days on arrival. The residence permit is granted for a period of one year, and it has to be renewed at least one month prior to its date of expiry. Students are required to declare on the application form that they do not suffer from AIDS, leprosy, lues (veneral disease), tuberculosis, or typhoid diseases, nor are they carriers of HIV, typhoid or paratyphoid.

The following documents will be required for the residence permit:

  • Certificate of Enrollment from TAFA in Hungarian
  • your passport valid for a duration of at least six month longer than the period of stay you are applying for
  • lease contract for the apartment in Hungarian – two copies (it has to specify the landlord’ s and your personal data – date and place of birth, mother’ s maiden name, permanent address, landlord’ s ID number, your passport No. The contract has to be signed by two Hungarian witnesses)*
  • title deed (property registry sheet) of the apartment (tulajdoni lap) to be provided by the owner (original document, not older than one month)
  • housing registration form (lakcimbejelento) signed by the owner of the apartment
  • one passport-size color photo
  • students who entered the country under the new Schengen regulations and paid EUR 60 for the entry permit stamped into their passports DO NOT HAVE TO PAY a stamp duty when they apply for the residence permit for the first time. When you apply for an extension of the residence permit later on, you will have to pay a stamp duty of HUF 6,000 each time
  • proof of funds to cover your expenses (bank statement indicating adequate funds available for living expenses (you will have to open a bank account in Hungary and request a bank statement, verifying a current balance of at least EUR 1,500-2,000
  • receipts of the exchange of foreign currency into Hungarian Forints (HUF) since your arrival in the minimum of USD 5/600. When the time comes to apply for the renewal of your residence permit, you will have to attach a summarized history of the transactions on your bank account in the previous six months. The last six statements of your account mailed monthly by the bank or ATM receipts from the previous six months are also acceptable.
  • certification of valid medical insurance coverage in Hungary for the whole period to be covered by the residence permit

* If you stay with an acquaintance or a relative as a guest, a statement of admission (befogadói nyilatkozat) has to be attached from the owner of the apartment in Hungarian stating that you stay in the apartment as a non-paying guest. The statement has to be signed by two Hungarian witnesses, giving their ID Nos and addresses. If the apartment is your property, a title deed has to be attached to verify it. If you rent the apartment through an agency and you signed the contract with a representative of the agency, the agency should provide 1/ official authorization from the owner of the apartment for the lease of the apartment, 2/ title deed to verify the ownership of the apartment, 3/ a statement from the agency that the person who signed the contract on behalf of them has authorization to do so. Each document needs to be countersigned by two witnesses of Hungarian citizenship. Please note that if the housing contract has been signed for a specified period of time and not for an indefinite period, the residence permit will be granted for the period covered by the valid lease contract.